The list below itemises all my publications. Among them are essays and op-eds that have appeared in mainstream media outlets. Media organisations periodically move their web content around (Foreign Policy has done this a few times), so older links to external web pages, blog posts and op-eds are prone to breakage – which makes it hard to keep track of where things are on the internet. I’ve included them in the bibliography, but I’ve also compiled them elsewhere on this site for ease of reference, along with their original URLs and citation information.
PUBLICATIONS (Work in Progress)
- Harbors in the Storm: Case Studies in Cold War Conflict and Containment, 1948-1998.
- “Selling the Bush Doctrine: Availability Cascades, The Harboring Principle and War in Iraq.”
- “‘For Want of a Better Term’: Vietnam, Insurgency and the Equivocations of Bernard Fall.”
- “A Routine Obsession”: Pearl Harbor, Historical Precedent and the Fixations of Donald Rumsfeld.”
- Streets Without Joy: A Political History of Sanctuary and War. London: C. Hurst & Co. Publishers, forthcoming 2020.
Books (Edited Volumes & Journal Issues)
- Making Sense of Proxy Wars: States, Surrogates and the Use of Force (Ed.). Lincoln, NE: Potomac Books / University of Nebraska Press, 2012. [PUBLISHER’S PAGE]
- The Clandestine Politics of Sanctuary. Guest Ed. Special Issue of Civil Wars 10:1 (Winter 2008). [PUBLISHER’S PAGE]
- Denial of Sanctuary: Understanding Terrorist Safe Havens (Ed.). Westport, CT: Praeger, 2007. [PUBLISHER’S PAGE]
- Bosnian Security After Dayton: New Perspectives (Ed.). London & New York: Routledge, 2006. [PUBLISHER’S PAGE]
Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed)
- “Deconstructing Political Orthodoxies on Insurgent and Terrorist Sanctuaries.” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 31:3 (March 2008): 251-267. Adapted from “Cracks in the System: Sanctuary and Terrorism After 9/11,” Introduction to Denial of Sanctuary.
- “Protected Status, Sacred Sites, Black Holes, and Human Agents: System, Sanctuary, Terrain Complexity.” Civil Wars 31:1 (Winter 2008): 1-6.
- “Denial-of-Resource Operations and NPFL Radio Dominance in the Liberian Civil War.” Civil Wars 7:3 (Autumn 2005): 94-115.
- “Terrorist Sanctuaries and Bosnia-Herzegovina: Challenging Conventional Assumptions.” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 28:4 (July-August 2005): 295-305.
Books (Chapter Contributions)
- “Framing Militant Sanctuary Practices in Afghanistan and Iraq, 2001-2011.” Chapter in Sanctuary Practices in International Perspectives: Migration, Citizenship and Social Movements, edited by Randy Lippert and Sean Rehaag. Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2012. pp. 245-257.
- “Cracks in the System: Sanctuary and Terrorism After 9/11.” Introduction to Denial of Sanctuary: Understanding Terrorist Safe Havens. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2007. pp. 1-20.
- “Security in Between.” Introduction to Bosnian Security After Dayton. London and New York: Routledge, 2006. pp. 1-5.
PUBLICATIONS (Other Writing)
- “Reading Guerrilla Radio In Wartime Liberia.” Small Wars and Insurgencies 16:2 (2005): 241-251.
- “The Policy Hole.” SAIS Review 23:1 (Winter/Spring 2003): 257-271.
- “Ordinary Bystanders.” SAIS Review 22:2 (Summer/Fall 2002): 361-366.
- “After the Storm: Cote d’Ivoire in the Wake of the 2010-2011 Conflict.” Jane’s Intelligence Review (February 2012).
- “Afghanistan’s ‘Militia’ Problem: Can Local Defense Forces Replace Private Security Firms?” Terrorism Monitor 8:32 (12 August 2010).
- “Perceptions of Success and Failure in ISAF Operations in Marjah, Afghanistan.” Terrorism Monitor 8:24 (17 June 2010).
- “The Safe Haven Myth.” Foreign Policy (12 October 2009).
- “Genocide, Ethnocide, or Hyperbole? Australia’s ‘Stolen Generation’ and Canada’s ‘Hidden Holocaust.’” Cultural Survival Quarterly 25:4 (Winter 2001): 54-56.
- “In the Countries of the Dead.” Transitions Online (17 February 2002).
- “Budgeting NATO’s Future.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (19 November 2010). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2010/11/19/budgeting-natos-future/
- “Runaway General, Or Runaway Reporter?” CNN Opinion (22 June 2010). URL: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/06/22/innes.mchrystal.reporting/
- “COIN Confusion.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (6 May 2010). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2010/05/06/coin-confusion/
- “A New Command Structure in Afghanistan.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (18 March 2010). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2010/03/18/a-new-command-structure-in-afghanistan/
- “The War of Leaks.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (17 November 2009). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/11/17/the-war-of-leaks/
- “Nearly Anywhere Terrorists Operate.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (9 November 2009). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/11/09/nearly-anywhere-terrorists-operate/
- “The Safe Haven Myth.” Foreign Policy / Argument (12 October 2009). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/12/the-safe-haven-myth/
- “The Sound of Silence.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (12 October 2009). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/12/the-sound-of-silence/
- “Ground Truths.” Foreign Policy/AfPak Channel (2 October 2009). URL: http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/02/ground-truths/
- “How Tech Changes Our Thinking About War.” Wired.com (13 January 2009). URL: http://www.wired.com/2009/01/how-tech-change/
- Evan F. Kohlmann. Al-Qaida’s Jihad in Europe: The Afghan-Bosnian Network. Oxford and New York: Berg Publishers, 2004. Review in Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 29:3 (2006): 345-346.
- Neven Adjelic. Bosnia-Herzegovina: The End of a Legacy (London: Frank Cass & Co., 2003). Review in Journal of Conflict Studies 15:1 (Summer 2005).
- Taisier M. Ali and Robert O. Matthews, Eds. Civil Wars in Africa: Roots and Resolution (Montreal, Kingston, Ithaca, London: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 1999). Review in Journal of Conflict Studies 14:1 (Winter 2004): 145-146.
- Henry Reynolds. An Indelible Stain: The Genocide Question in Australia’s History (Viking Australia, 2002). Review in Cultural Survival Quarterly 26:1 (Spring 2002).
- “Political Communication in Wartime Liberia: Themes and Concepts.” CEPES Occasional Paper Series. Montreal: Centre d’Études des Politiques Étrangères et de Sécurité, May 2004.